Thursday, May 1, 2008

Mayor's Prayer Breakfast

Mayor Dupree's Prayer Breakfast 2008
National Day of Prayer
Lake Terrace Convention Center Hattiesburg, MS

Deuce McAllister - Ole Miss Rebel - New Orleans Saint
Deuce sat and talked with anyone that wanted to speak, get an autograph or picture. There were over 600 people in attendance and I was very impressed by his composure and presence.
Kerry Morris, Kerry Stringer, Deuce and Me
After all was said and done, Deuce took a picture with us so we didn't have to lean over the table. He also spoke to us a little while about things and of course we mentioned Big Buck Sports! Just a note, I am not a marshmallow! I just thought cleavage was inappropriate at a prayer breakfast so I wore that jacket which I now regret!


Well, today started off pretty busy. I had to be up at 5 in order to make it to the Mayor's Prayer Breakfast at 6:30 this morning. That is not my strong suit but I made it happen. My "loving" brother arrived bright and early at 6:00am to stay with boys and get them to school. Which is where I will begin...every morning Luke asks for money and JP asks if it is Show and Tell so he can take his DS to school and every morning Luke only gets his $.50 and JP gets a "no, it's Friday" As I sat listening to the program at Lake Terrace, I received the text in order for Luke and JP from their Uncle Charlie! It is good to see that they are consistent and that my brother was wise enough to question them.

Back to the prayer breakfast, it was held by Mayor Johnny Dupree (Hattiesburg) with Deuce McAllister as the keynote speaker. Many ministers and choral groups preformed throughout the morning. Then came Deuce...he is a very good speaker and humorous at times. He called the NFL ...The "not for long" league....which got some laughs. But a point he made that I whole heartedly agreed with was his last statements. He challenged Hattiesburg and the state of Mississippi to get their education systems straightened out NOW! He said that there are many paths we can choose to take but that if children don't get the education they deserve then their path choices become very limited and it affects not just the child but the community as a whole.



In this my first day of fulfilling my blog commitment, I challenge everyone that reads this to make a difference in their part of the country by donating their time, money and/or goods to a school or group to help children succeed. Do it today....online, by phone or in person. Stop by a school at lunch and ask "How can I help?" or go online and donate money. There is something that we can all give. I hope that this has urged at least one of you to make a difference. That was something else that Deuce said...he said that if him speaking and sharing touched one then that makes a difference. Touch One and you have the ability to touch many.



Have a great Thursday!

No comments: